Monday, February 06, 2006

Atif goes international

After making his mark in Bollywood, Atif is all set to show his talent across the globe as his songs become part of the soundtrack of an international production

No matter what anyone says, the fact remains that the inclusion of his songs in Zeher and Kalyug soundtracks gave Atif Aslam substantial recognition in India. Ultimately, they ended up playing those remixes so loud that one could easily hear them from across the border. But now things are about to enter a whole new level and his voice is going to reach an even wider audience, as Atif's tunes have been featured in the movie that won last year's 'FIPRESCI (La Federation International de la Presse Cinematographique) International Critics Award'.

Atif's songs ended up in Man Push Cart after his album landed in the hands of the film's director. "The actor who plays the lead role in the movie (Ahmad Razvi) gave my CD to the director. Man Push Cart is an art movie on a Pakistani immigrant trying to settle in USA and how he rebuilds his life through his talent of singing. That's where my part comes in. The director, Ramin Bahrani, thought my music would be appropriate for the film, so he sent me an invitation and after the negotiations, three of my songs were included in the film."

The film depicts the life of a Pakistani immigrant who now sells coffee from his pushcart on the streets of Manhattan. The former rock star struggles for survival, eventually returning to music to get his life back on track. "The film was scheduled to be premiered at Rafi Peer Theater and Film Festival," Atif explained, "but due to some time scheduling issues, it wasn't. But it will be available here on DVD after some time." Man Push Cart is among the sixty movies (chosen out of some three thousand) selected for premier at the Venice Film festival.

When asked if he'd gone through the script of the movie before accepting this offer, Atif's very candid reply was that he hadn't. "As it was a matter of more exposure for Pakistan and for me, I signed it at a decent cost." But then, would he allow his music to be used in a film that he didn't like? He says he's at an early stage of his career, too young to be choosy when it comes to Hollywood movies. "I decided on this film keeping in view the story, but I guess if the production team is sound, then I won't have any objections to it, as they are more professional than we are."

The film uses the songs 'Aadat' as well as portions of 'Ehsaas' and 'Yaqeen', and for all the songs, Atif has been given credit. "They have mentioned my name along with all others who have been a part of the film's music in one way or another." And how does he feel about this project? "I feel very thankful to God and at the same time, I also feel a kind of responsibility and added pressure for my second album". His sophomore set is currently a work in progress and "raw version of some songs have been recorded."

And Man Push Cart isn't the only addition to his already impressive resume. "Recently, BBC sent me a letter, asking for permission to use my music in one of their programs about South Asia. It's a documentary of some kind on South Asian music and is scheduled for February–March 2006. I have allowed them to use my music."

So after success in the Pakistani music scene, Bollywood, and now even a touch of Hollywood, what's next? "To be very honest, I have never set targets. It's all just a blessing of God coming my way but I will be extremely happy if I can do something good for my country in terms of fame. I would like to do some projects with international artists, to learn more music and expand my horizons. I would like to add," he continued, "that people should learn to accept new things. Experiments will craft the shape of music in Pakistan. Encouragement will help artists to do their best and be in their best form."

As for those who think 'Aadat' has already been overused, redone and remixed to death, Atif doesn't agree. "I guess music doesn't have any boundaries. Only the audience in Bollywood has heard it so far. It should be spread more, as it is a 'generic' song." And at this rate, one wouldn't be surprised if they're playing 'Aadat' on the moon in a couple of years. Alert NASA, should we?

- By Sameen Amer

Instep, The News - 5th February, 2006

No comments: