Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A chat with Tooba Siddiqui

interview

Ink: Tell me about your educational background.
Tooba Siddiqui: I did my schooling from City School Islamabad, and my A levels from UCI, and then I got into modelling and moved to Karachi, and it’s been a great journey so far.

Ink: What obstacles did you have to face to get to where you are today?
Tooba: Actually no obstacles as such. I always believed in myself, and people who I’ve worked with believed in me. I was lucky enough to find good people and very professional people as I started off, and I never had to face any problems or troubles regarding unprofessionalism or something like that. So I’ve been lucky that way.

Ink: How did you groom yourself to become a successful model and actor?
Tooba: Well, modelling taught me a lot because I entered modelling first. I’ve gained huge self-confidence from the industry. That’s how I got into acting as well. And it was a hidden talent; since my childhood I always wanted to be an actor. Since I was always very amused watching the Oscar and Golden Globes and everything, so I always thought one day I’d probably come somewhere close to that.

Ink: What do you think makes you unique from other models/actors?
Tooba: I don’t know what makes me unique but I guess everybody has their own personality. I have my own personality. I am very confident about myself. I guess that’s what makes me unique. I believe in myself.

Ink: Which fashion shoot have you enjoyed the most so far, and why?
Tooba: I’ve done so many shoots, I don’t know, I think I’ve done almost 97 covers in my life. And I’ve enjoyed working with people a lot. There are a lot of designers I love working with – there’s Nomi Ansari, Sonia Batla, Hassan Sheheryar, Umar Sayeed, and many others.

Ink: And what about acting? What’s been your favourite role?
Tooba: I have done quite a few roles up till now, but again I wouldn’t say I’ve done my, as in, I’ve tried my hundred percent but I guess the dream role that I’m waiting for hasn’t come yet.

Ink: What do you enjoy more: acting or modelling?
Tooba: Well, acting is, I think, something I was born with. Modelling gave me a lot of self-confidence, so I guess both. I love ramp; ramps just really take me on some other level, but acting is a completely different medium. In the future I see myself more as an actor.

Ink: Do you have any other activities besides this?
Tooba: Activities, I would not say as such, because I mostly travel a lot for work and I don’t get time off that much. The only time I get off is spent with family and friends. Or I watch movies. I’m a big time movie buff. If I have two days off or three days off, I just rend out films and I just watch films all the time.

Ink: Any films/genres in particular?
Tooba: All sorts of movies. I love movies. The latest that I saw was Slumdog Millionaire, and I saw Rachel Getting Married, and Milk. I want to be a film actress one day very soon.

Ink: Where do you see yourself in the future?
Tooba: I see myself very satisfied with my work.

Ink: Any advice for people who want to pursue modelling or acting?
Tooba: I think you should be very confident and you should be open to learning a lot of stuff, as in professionalism, confidence, the right attitude, no arrogance, and give respect to the seniors.

- By Sameen Amer

Ink Quarterly, May '09

No comments: