Friday, August 12, 2005

58!!


Celebrating 58 years of Pakistan


It's Pakistan's 58th Independence Day ... and here's what our musicians have to say about it:

Ahmed Ali Butt (Entity Paradigm)
It's a shame we couldn't make it for the shows but Inshallah one day we will come and play for our fans, and then all hell will break loose! Pak zindabad!

Ali Zafar
Our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Long live Pakistan! May this year be the best for all the Pakistanis around the world and the greatest year for Pakistan ever. Love to all.

Atif Aslam
For me, 14th August has a lot of memories associated with it. Badges aur small flags milnay ki sab ko khushi houti hay but mujhay zyada khushi houti thi when my brothers also gave me something, like small flags to decorate our house with. In college life, I represented my college PAF Lahore in Sargodha and we took the first prize in the national song competition. Us brothers also used to go out on the streets of Lahore to celebrate the evening of 14th August with the lively Lahorites. I would like to convey a very important message in this regard to youngsters: do celebrate your independence day but don’t do motorbike wheelies or anything that is risky. Your loved ones are waiting for you at home, so please don’t do anything which thrills for a while but kills in the long run. I’m a humanist first and then a nationalist. Respect your motherland, as it is sacred to you. Alhumdolillah we are better than many nations of the world. We must keep in mind that we should not misuse our motherland if somebody is not watching us. If we misuse it we are disrespecting ourselves, as this land is our identity.

Fahad Khan (Call)
Happy Independence Day! Make your country proud. This is our homeland. We are its name, so lets all celebrate our independence with peace and harmony. Pakistan zindabad!!!

Farhan Saeed Butt (Jal)
On our recent US tour, when we had to stay there for over a month, I realized that no matter how good or bad we are, we are Pakistani and we are representing our nation when we are out of Pakistan. We can make a bad image of our country and a good one too. We can never be anyone but Pakistani. Realize that and make this country the best. I love Pakistan! And I’m proud to be a Pakistani.

Goher Mumtaz (Jal)
I wanna convey a message that everyone has to think that what have we done for our country? This country can give a lot of respect and identity to us if we do something innovative...so believe in yourself and come out with your talent which everyone must have, and serve your country with all your potential. May Allah bless Pakistan. Peace.

Iftikhar Habib (Rungg)
As I grew up listening to some of my favourite rock bands from the USA, I sometimes saw superstars like Axl Rose (Guns 'n Roses) standing on stage, performing in front of 100,000 people and having the American flag wrapped around them. As a musician I want to see our stars doing that (wrapping the Pakistani flag around them) not just in Pakistan, but also when they perform abroad. This would be done in the true spirit of national pride. 14th August is a day of great patriotism, but the patriotism should follow through to every single day after that as well.

Junaid Khan (Call)
14th August has always been a day of inspiration for me. The efforts and the blood we have given to become a nation to represent a Muslim power somehow seem to have died out. My message is to think for Pakistan first then anything else. Recognize your nishaan your pehchaan, it’s Pakistan.

Sarmad Ghafoor (Rungg)
I never celebrate 14th August because I think we haven't achieved what Pakistan was made for...we have a long way to go before I start celebrating it.

Shazi (Jal)
I am proud to be a Pakistani and am a great admirer of Quaid-e-Azam. I have full faith in this country. We, as Pakistan, should always be together as one. Always. Love you all.

Sultan Raja (Call)
I never knew the meaning of azadi till I got into college. During my school days I was someone who remained to himself and was scared too. As soon as I got into college, I felt freedom and realized that freedom is a blessing. Our Quaid-e-Azam got us this country and we have taken it for granted. It’s a moment of pity. We, as a whole nation, must make this country, and we haven’t done much for Pakistan.

Wasim Kamal (Rungg)
14th August is a very normal day for me. I get excited because it is a holiday. I don't think Pakistan's current situation as a nation is cause for celebration.

Xulfi (EP, Call)
Jau chahoon agar mein banoon roshnee
Jau chahoon tau kismat likh daaloon nayee
That’s what we should believe in, and make that belief drive us to attain even bigger things in future.

Zulfiqar-ul-Hassan (Rungg)
When I was younger, my friends and I used to buy flags and paste the little paper 'jhandis' all over our houses. I miss that, as now I am too busy and don't get the time to celebrate the day or have any affiliation with it. The only thing I get excited about is the 14th August march, which symbolises the great unity and power of the nation.

- By Sameen Amer

Us Magazine, The News - 12th August, 2005

No comments: