Friday, August 12, 2005

Managing success


interview


Khurram Jabbar Khan, the man behind the artist management company Jilawatan Productions, is better known to the masses as the manager of Entity Paradigm, CALL, Jal, and Roxen. He started off as the original drummer of CALL, but has since given up the drums to devote all his energies to management and has established a powerful empire on the music front. We caught up with Khurram Jabbar Khan to ask him about the music industry and artist management, and to find out more about the person behind the persona.

Us: What's it like managing some of the most popular bands of the country?
Khurram Jabbar Khan: I have always been a manager, and by the grace of Allah Almighty and with the prayers of my family, I have done a pretty decent job at it. And even though these bands are among the most popular ones now, there hasn't been much difference - the bands that I manage and the environment we have created is quite humble and they have not made me feel like they are big or have any kind of attitude problem at any time. We are all a big happy family.
With the passage of time, from a one-man management show, I have developed a proper network of my company, Jilawatan Productions, throughout the globe that now helps me to do my job more effectively. Personally, I believe that there is no limit to what a man can do if he does not care who will get the credit...this is what my father always tells me and this is the reason I have been able to make an impression.

Us: How and when did you step into artist management?
KJK: Actually, I had never thought I would ever end up managing bands. It was just that Xulfi, my baby brother, and the rest of the EP gang asked me to help them out during their initial times after the Battle of the Bands, when they decided to go on to make an album. I, at that time, had come back from the US and was quite eager to start CALL as a new band. The thought of managing bands and then actually doing it really got me into it, and then there was no stopping. Now, it's like I can't live without it. It's addictive.

Us: Out of the four bands that you are managing right now, which one do you think is the most promising?
KJK: All of them. And sometimes I feel scared that I am creating competition within. I am, on the other hand, happy to have the cream of the bands with me.

Us: Would you like to add more bands to the Jilawatan fold?
KJK: Definitely, but with talent. And my adding a band means they have to go through a rigorous path that I will design for them and it won't be that being with Jilawatan will give them instant success. It's not true, because I won't sign anyone who is going for a short time thing. It has to be a long time penetrating approach.

Us: Why did you choose to be a part of the bands' online forums actively?
KJK: Well, sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't feel like responding. I love all the fans on the forums, but there are other 'anasar' who are just there to irritate and to make me react. Sometimes they succeed and I feel like I should not actively be a part of the forums. I am only there to keep the fans updated with the current happenings.

Us: There has been some controversy over some of your posts on the forums. Any comments on that issue?
KJK: I just want to laugh at the whole thing. Some people, not the fans of course, want to gain importance on the forums by placing misleading facts in front of the naive fans to gain advantage or to degrade me or the band members, which after sometimes gets unbearable and so I decided to react. Actually, in our forums we have given liberty to people to say whatever they want - whether it's in favour of the band or not - whereas none of the other forums do, and even the irritants who are moderators do not allow anyone to speak openly or against any issue in their respective forums. And some people started insulting and degrading band members. When this had gone beyond tolerance, I started banning all such culprits and decided to stick to certain levels of acceptance.

Us: And what was the whole Mizraab incident about?
KJK: Mizraab is one of those bands that have tried to make a difference in the rock scene/music industry of Pakistan. They are and will remain one of my favourite bands in Pakistan. Faraz Anwar will remain the best guitarist of Pakistan and I adore his playing. Jamie, who was in Mizraab, is like my younger brother. He was with my brother Danish J. Khan in NCA, and because of him I have promoted Mizraab whenever and wherever possible. Unfortunately, instead of promoting Mizraab or Faraz Anwar, some of the Mizraab fans always try to get into comparisons and start insulting other bands, which indirectly hurts the band (Mizraab), not anyone else.
The same incident happened on the forums when some guy degraded EP and said Mirzaab stole the Islamabad show, which certainly didn't happen. They are a good live act, but not better than EP, as the crowd is always with the band that has mass appeal. To that comment, I replied that Mizraab didn't steal the show but they stole our bass guitar gig bag instead. Actually, Faraz Jr. took the bag by mistake and when he realised this, he gave it to someone at the gate, who he thought was an organiser, and the bag then ended up lost. My expression was only a sarcastic reply to the guy who had posted the comment on the forum. After this incident, I decided that I would never reply to such elements on the forums who want to create controversies by insulting others. My message to them is this: do not harm your band - it has the potential to be at the top, but fans like you are only doing the opposite.

Us: What do you think is the best and the worst thing about our music industry?
KJK: The best thing is that the industry is blooming and there are lots of opportunities for real talent, and the worst is that every one thinks they can do music and they want to be famous within days.

Us: Any advice for bands that are trying to make it onto the music scene?
KJK: Don't be scared of failure. Just keep on trying with full faith. You will be able to do it. Remember that going through the shaft gets the grains. This industry will soon be quite competitive, so mastering your instrument will become real important. Best of luck, and always obey and respect your elders and stay away from drugs. This is not only a part of music learning, but should also be a cornerstone of life - not following this will take you guys straight to hell, both in this world and the hereafter.

- By Sameen Amer

Us Magazine, The News - 12th August, 2005

No comments: