Friday, December 16, 2011

The (Celebrity) Bookshelf

books

Mustafa Zahid: I recently read Controversially Yours by Shoaib Akhtar and as much as a fan I was of his game in the past, I think he earned twice more respect after that. The book was a total feast and tells the bitter truth about what happens off the ground and in dressing rooms as well. What I liked about the book was that Shoaib emerges as a complete rock star even in the book and does not mind accepting the wrong side of him portrayed by media over the years, although he is a bit protective about it at the same time as well. What I disliked was that he blamed most of the seniors for his career as he claimed he was too young at that time, and at the same time he said he was always a rebel and never listened to anyone, so [I] found it a bit contradictory. Highly recommended to the youth.

Zeeshan Parwez: [I have read] very very few [books], because of the extensive workload. As recommended by friends, I’ve recently read Snow by Orhan Pamuk, The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey Sachs, and The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. It’s a big debate on what I thought about these books in general. I would however encourage everyone to read The End of Poverty. I like fact-driven information and it actually gives you a wider picture about the poverty in third world countries and what can be done to control it to some extent, at least that’s what the book states boldly; the eradication of poverty by 2030.

Haniya Aslam: The last books I read were Amitav Ghosh’s River of Smoke and Muhammad Hanif’s Our Lady of Alice Bhatti. Both of them were a treat to read.

Annie Khalid: I just finished reading Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins and I really love the book. She is one of my favourite authors. I don’t think there is anything I didn’t like about that book. I think everything was great. It was basically just like a movie in text form. The best thing about Jackie Collins is that her books are so glamorous and so Hollywood that they take you to a totally different world when you read them. I would definitely recommend it to other people.

Us Magazine, The News - 16th December, 2011



Faiza Mujahid: It’s been ages since I’ve read a good book! The last book I read was Never Let Me Go, five years back, and I LOVED it!! It’s a science fiction novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. You have to read it to know how good it is!

Us Magazine, The News - 21st October, 2011



Faakhir: I read Ford County by John Grisham. The detailing and suspense in most of these stories is compelling, very exciting; however unlike vintage Grisham that we are used to, there’s a certain degree of predictability about the endings – somehow the endings seem a little complacent, if you like. Nevertheless it offers a very interesting read.

Us Magazine, The News - 7th October, 2011


  
Haroon Rashid: Most recently I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought it was engaging but I was really put off by the depravity and extreme depiction of violence. I thought the book didn’t deserve the hype it got and was more about sensationalism. Later I read that in Sweden the original title of the book is "Men Who Hate Women". That seemed to make more sense. It was changed in the English translation to be more commercial. I would only recommend it to adults over 21 who are not of a sensitive nature.

Us Magazine, The News - 26th August, 2011



Natasha Saleem: I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and I loved it!! It’s so pertinent to today’s situation in society, and I recommend everyone read it and switch over to individual anarchism ‘cause as we can see time and again through history that with absolute power comes absolute corruption.

Us Magazine, The News - 1st July, 2011 

- By Sameen Amer

No comments: