Friday, December 02, 2011

Q&A: Mustafa Zahid (Roxen)

interview

Us: How did the Dil Main Tum project come about?
Mustafa Zahid:
Dil Main Tum just happened out of nowhere. I woke up one day and realised I had this tune in the back of my mind and was humming it. We got together to jam and I told the band I think we shall do a cover of this song for one of our upcoming concerts. The moment we started jamming to it, the energy was electrifying. My friend Umer heard us doing the jam and told me he knew Bunny through someone, and that very moment we decided to take the cover to the next level. I called Bunny and told him we have done something different from what he has done before, and although I don’t think we can ever match the class of that song, but rock ‘n’ roll is what Roxen mostly does; this is what we have done, and if you like the sound we would love to have you on board for the song. He heard the song and loved every bit of it and agreed.

Us:  How was the experience of working with Bunny?
MZ:
Working with Bunny was astounding. The energy, the vibe, the whole experience was just amazing and I think it was his attitude towards the music and collaboration which took it to some other level. He was so supportive and guided us all the way through the project. I remember the first time he had done his vocals and sent us the file from Karachi; we heard it in the studios and all of us had goose bumps.

Us: Please tell Us about the video.
MZ:
The video has a pretty similar theme to what Roxen has done in the past. If you look at Sapnay, Toh Phir Aoo, Bujh Hai Gaya, and most of our videos, we prefer going all out as a pop rock boy band jamming and performing to the song, and to be honest this is what we love as well. Also, since this was Roxen’s second video that I directed by myself after Tera Mera Rishta, I wanted to have a unique element going in the video which initially was to have a lot of sports cars and stuff, but I think ultimately Bunny himself was enough to overshadow any other element.

Us: What can we expect from you in the coming months?
MZ:
A lot of shows in and outside Pakistan. And we are back in Bollywood with Mahesh Bhatt’s Blood Money; all I can say for now is that in case you found two songs on the soundtrack of Awarapan not enough, wait for Blood Money.

- Sameen Amer

Us Magazine, The News - 2nd December, 2011

No comments: